Chair Planters

Remember these chairs from this post?

I bought them off of a neighbor for only $1 each! Can you believe it? Originally, I planned on refinishing them in bright colors with themes to match my boys’ personalities. They hung out in my garage for at least a year until I decided that we really didn’t have room for anymore pint-sized furniture. I was on the lookout for inspiration when I remembered the planters I had seen at our local nursery. They have the most beautiful things! I have always wanted one of their wheel barrow or chair planters. An idea was born! Why couldn’t my old chairs be turned into something like that?

I don’t have the best tutorial pictures for this project because even though I started with a plan, as with most plans, things didn’t happen exactly as I had imagined. But that’s okay, I followed the path that best worked to make those old brown chairs into my pretty little planters- and that is all that really matters. First I had to figure out how I was going to attach the basket. After considering cutting a hole into the middle of the seat, I opted for taking the entire seat off. This worked for me because I was able to find wire hanging baskets, at Wal-mart, that actually fit inside the chair pretty well. I enlisted my dad’s help for drilling through the rivets that held the wooden seat on. I was surprised at how easy dismantling the chairs was.

Paint. I thought this would be the easiest part. Wrong! I in-visioned a creamy distressed look. My intentions were to paint the chairs blue, only to cover it with a creamy white and then sand the chairs in some places to let the blue peek through.

However, once I saw the blue, I fell in love with the beautiful color – but I still wanted a distressed look. I took the cream color and lightly spayed over the blue paint. It was totally splotchy and speckled and really uneven. But I was hoping it would give me a worn look. Then I sprayed blue right over the top of it. It ended up looking like this.

After the paint had dried, I pushed the baskets through the bottom and wired them to the chairs. A couple coconut liners and some flowers and just look at how they turned out!

I have always loved the idea of transforming everyday objects into extraordinary things that are rare and unique only to me and I am tickled with how these turned out! I can’t wait for the flowers to grow a little and cascade down the chairs!

This project participating in…
Visit thecsiproject.com

38 thoughts on “Chair Planters

1. Alison

Now this is one of the funnest ideas I’ve seen in a long time! I love that teal color, and the flowers are just so happy. Fabulous project!
    ~Alison

2. Jasey

Michelle, Laura, Alison, and Kim, Thanks so much for the kind words! I am so glad you like my little chairs.

Debbi, I think developing the mindset for transforming someone’s trash into your treasure takes time. I know I work at it all the time. Sometimes it comes easy, but often I have to really work at it!

Happy Day everyone –
    Jasey

3. Jasey

Rose, it is fun when things just fit – makes it seem meant to be!

Gail, so glad that you like the color too! I just couldn’t cover it once I saw it!

Jasey

4. Anita

I love this blue! What color is it? I had a chair planter at my old house and now I’m missing it! I saw Tracys rocker and now your two. So cute! I need an old chair now!

5. miss corner cape

usually i don’t like these, but i am lovin’ yours! i don’t know if its the bright chair, the bright flowers, or the pot you used. but it looks great and couldn’t be cheerier if it tried!

6. Stephanie Lynn

These are simply adorable! I love the blue – so colorful and fun! Fabulous job! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

7. asnipofgoodness

Cool! I love this idea, and I love the color you chose! This would look great on my back patio.

Where you gonna put ’em??? hope nobody sits on them, people are crazy like that you know! haha

Thanks for sharing!

8. Fallan

This is really neat! I really like the shade of blue you use. Its bright and the green of the leaves and pink of the flowers pop right against it. Nice choice. I live in an apartment and wished I had a yard so I can make one of these. Someday.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I came across this on the CSI Project.

9. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com

jaysey —
    That chair is just too cute. I love the color that you used too. It must make you happy every time you see it!

Thanks so much for linking up to the CSI Project! We really appreciate it. I hope you will come back next week for our Hardware Store challenge!

XOXO
    Jen

10. Chicy-Creations

What a genius idea! I linked up to this post on my blog and will link up again when I get the chance to make and share the finished product on my blog. Thanks for the great idea!

11. Pingback: Einen Stuhl bepflanzen | Balkonliebe - Magazin für Balkonkultur

12. Pingback: 30 Creative DIY Ways to Plant a Garden | Mother's Home

13. Pingback: DIY Upcycled Freezer Basket Planter | Jasey's Crazy Daisy

14. Pingback: 15 Upcycled Chairs Transformed into Unique Garden Planters - Garden Lovers Club