Double Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Double Pineapple Upside-Down Cake… I had never thought much about this cake until a couple of summers ago when visiting my grandparents in Montana for the fourth of July. One of my aunts brought a cake from Costco… a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. At first, I wasn’t even tempted. For some reason, this cake has always seemed a bit old-fashioned to me. And not in a good sense, in an out of my great great aunts musty closet sort of way. Appetizing, I know. Sure as sugar cookies that cake got the better of me, I had to taste it. I was amazed. This cake was super moist, and covered with tons of caramel-ey pineapple-y yumminess.  Simple pineapple, crushed, I think, with no cherries (gasp), which I really don’t even like (double gasp). Never judge a book… by the closet it came from (whether it be your great great aunts or Costco), or its cherry-less cover! And that is where my quest began. Since then there have been so many times I have wanted that cake. I because I am Costco-less in my little corner of Wyoming… I must make it myself. I have tried so many recipes, and all of them fall short of my expectations. The cake is usually too much like a biscuit {I WANT CAKE, slightly sweet moist cake} has very little flavor, AND there is never enough pineapple!!! I don’t want a few pretty sliced rings – I want a layer of serious pineapple, carmalized pineapple to be exact! Cherries – I really don’t care about them, it’s not Pineapple Cherry Upside-Down Cake after all, its Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. If the cherries are deal breakers for you than go ahead and throw some in. So here it is, my perfect Double Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. No pretty slices. No cherries. I hesitate to use the word perfect because my opinion may very well be different than yours. My perfect may not be yours. See what you think…

Double Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Topping
  1. 2 (20 oz.) cans of crushed pineapple, drain and reserve 2 Tablespoons of the juice
  2. 6 Tablespoons of butter
  3. 1 cup brown sugar
Cake
  1. 2 eggs
  2. 1 teaspoon vanilla
  3. 1 cup flour
  4. 3/4 cup sugar
  5. 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  6. 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  7. 1 stick butter, softened
  8. 1/3 cup buttermilk
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Set out a 9x2-inch round cake pan. Drain pineapple, reserving two Tablespoons of the juice. I pour my two Tablespoons out and then dump the pineapple into a fine mesh strainer and press on it with a spatula to make sure its drained well.
  2. Place 6 Tablespoons butter in cake pan. Put it in the oven until the butter is melted. Tilt to coat all sides with butter, leaving the extra butter to settle in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the drained pineapple evenly on top of the brown sugar. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, reserved pineapple juice, and vanilla with a fork.
  4. In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Add butter and buttermilk. Beat on low just until the flour is moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Expect the batter to be stiff. Add 1/3 egg mixture at a time, beating for 20 seconds and scraping the bowl in between each addition. Pour the batter over the fruit and spread evenly.
  5. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs when inserted into the middle of the cake. Remove cake from oven and tilt in all directions to detach it from the pan. Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Place a large serving platter over the cake and turn the cake onto the platter. You may want to use hot mitts. Lift off the pan. Use the back of a spoon to smooth and spread the topping over any bare spots. If any pineapple mixture is left in the pan, scrape/pour it over the cake. Enjoy!.... maybe even with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Jasey's Crazy Daisy http://jaseyscrazydaisy.com/

20 thoughts on “Double Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

1. Toodie

I would have to disagree with you on the “perfect” statement. I think MY perfect is the same as YOUR perfect! This looks totally delicious! BTW, I don’t like the cherries either. šŸ™‚

2. Kimberly Watley

I agree with Allison, it doesn’t look like it’s from the oven. The bread looks like banana bread, making me drool and crave more! I might experiment with this one, and do it in the fridge instead of the oven.-Kim

1. Jasey McBurnett

I’m not sure what you mean by in the fridge and no bake with this recipe, it has a batter and raw eggs that I can’t imagine not baked. But let me know how your creations turn out, Allison and Kimberly:)

3. Karen Pyles

This sounds good but after reading the recipe I am not sure where the whole stick of butter goes and do you use both cans of crushed pineapple in the bottom of the pan? The picture looks like there is pineapple on both top and bottom.

4. Karen Pyles

This sounds good and easy, but I am confused as to where you use the whole stick of butter and if you use both cans of crushed pineapple in the bottom of the pan. The picture looks like there is pineapple on the bottom and top of the cake

1. Jasey Post author

Thanks Karen, sorry for the confusion. The butter goes in the bottom of the pan – which becomes the top when inverted at the end. You just swirl it around to coat the sides and let let the extra settle in the bottom. Does that help?

1. Karen Pyles

So the whole stick of butter plus the 6 tablespoons and both cans of crushed pineapple go in the bottom of the pan.

1. Jasey Post author

Ok, Karen, I see where the confusion was! I had left out the and between butter and buttermilk in the cake directions. It is fixed now – 6 Tablespoons for the topping and the softened stick in the cake. Is it clear now? I am so sorry about that! Thanks for hanging in there with me!

1. Karen Pyles

Yes, thank you. This is one of my husband’s favorite desserts and it sounds more like what his Mother made. Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my questions. Have a good day and God bless.

5. Jennifer Land

Hi! Doubt you’ll see this in time for me to roll the dice and try, but was hoping this recipe would work with pineapple chunks in lieu of the crushed (as that’s what I have on hand)? Regardless thanks for only recipe I’ve found without cherries or rum! Much obliged!

6. Jennifer Land

Hey how sweet of you to reply so quickly, thank you! Well I realized what a dumb question that was when I started following your directions for de-juicing the pineapple–turns out you’ll end up with crushed pineapple from chunks when getting all the juice out anyway (duh!)! Ultra-novice baker here, needless to say! Was worried my 9 x 1.5″ cake pan would be too small when I first drained the fruit, but all seems to have fit well in, just waiting for my roast chicken to be done to put in, and will let you know how it comes out! Wanted to add that I’m also trying out replacing coconut oil for the butter for the first time too. Trying it in baking like they say you’re supposed to be able to at the same time I have it (from a separate jar for “beauty”) in my hair all day, funny enough also for the first time, trying to salvage my hair from the combination of old age and too many at-home hair coloring sessions! LOL!! So a lot of “we’ll see’s!” for today, nd will let you know!!

7. Jennifer Land

Oh. My. Gosh. Melt In Your Mouth GOODNESS!! Hey, if I can make this and it turn out this good, anybody can! Only change was using organic coconut oil tablespoon for tablespoon in place of butter, which may have served as a fail safe in terms of moisture and flavor, but this recipe is da’ bomb! Thanks again, and will explore your site for more for sure! Now if only this oil proves as beneficial to my hair! {Smiles!} XO!

1. Jasey Post author

Yay, Jennifer, I am so happy to hear that your cake turned out so well! I love coconut oil too – glad to know it worked well as a substitute in this recipe! Welcome to JCD!

8. Ann

Is this good to make the day before? I want to make it tonight and take it to work for the afternoon.

1. Jasey Post author

Yes, keep it covered – I love to pop it in the microwave for a few seconds (topping that off with ice cream puts it over the top)! Let me know how it turns out šŸ™‚