Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn
- 1 (8 oz.) bag mini peanut butter cups, frozen (measures about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 quarts popped popcorn (@ 2/3 cup unpopped)
- 1 1/2 cups peanuts, honey roasted or plain, your choice and completely optional
- 1 1/8 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup chocolate chips, depending on how much chocolate drizzle you want
- Make sure to pop your peanut butter cups in the freezer so they are nice and frosty and won't completely melt away. When frozen, spread some waxed paper over your table and spray with cooking spray. Pop your corn. Pick out any kernels and place in a large bowl. Add peanuts if you are using them. I find a roaster works when I'm in an pinch. Melt corn syrup, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent burning. When the mixture is smooth turn off the heat and stir in vanilla. Add peanut butter stirring until smooth and creamy. Pour over popped corn and gently stir some more. You will want to add your frozen peanut butter cups before the mixture has cooled so they incorporate into the mixture, but after it has cooled enough that they won't completely melt. I stir the mixture until things are mixed pretty well and then add my candy and continue stirring until everything is well coated. Pour the popcorn mixture onto your prepared waxed paper. Spread it out pretty thin so the drizzle will have more area to cover. Melt your chocolate chips in the microwave - 20 second intervals, using your fingers to mush the chocolate around in the bag in between each, cut a small corner off and drizzle over popcorn. Let set and enjoy. Sometimes I spread the popped corn over the top of cookie sheets so I can place it in the fridge to quicken the setting. Another alternative is to press the mixture into a sprayed 9x13 pan before drizzling so you can cut them into bars. We enjoy it both ways. I am thinking you could even add a peanut butter chip drizzle if you wanted to go crazy. Maybe next time we will try it double drizzled!
Jasey's Crazy Daisy http://jaseyscrazydaisy.com/
Click here for more yummy popcorn recipes!