Horseradish is one of those manly man foods around here (all the guys seem to really dig it) which is why this Hot Cheddar Bacon Horseradish Dip is perfect for this time of year – it’s great game time food. No matter who they are cheering for, my husband bleeds Viking Purple, my brother Miami Dolphin Teal, and my dad, sometimes it depends on who is playing because he always likes to root for the underdogs, but usually Saints Black and Gold. I have to admit there are moments during the football season I find myself going crazy between fantasy football drafts and stats checking and roster updates, and there always seems to be a game on. I can handle a game or maybe two, but sun up to sun done makes me loony. Sometimes I think I need to start a club for football widows. As much as football drives me crazy, I have to admit there are also things that I love about it like how it brings people together. When we lived in Montana, it was like open house every Sunday as friends and family bounced in and out to watch their favorite teams. It was fun connecting and sharing our home and our lives that way. Of course, there was always a ton of food. We always had our basic game day staples including apples with caramel dip, pistachios, chips and salsa, among others tasty treats and all then there were the extras that depended on the who, what, when, and where of our worlds – chicken and noodles, chili, pulled pork – always fun new recipes to snack on. I admit that I loved the food almost as much as the company. And what I wouldn’t do for one of Heather’s pizzas – she can seriously throw down a mean pizza! I think many of our Helena friends would have enjoyed this dip as much as our Wyoming friends do. I wish the road wasn’t so darn long so we could all be together more often. Until we meet again I guess I have to reminisce about the fun times and food we shared- all the while wishing for a slice of that pizza.
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 1/3 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine and stir all ingredients together in a large bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into a small baking dish, I use a small pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, or more to your liking, over the top of the dip and serve with chips, crackers, or baguette slices. Enjoy!
- This recipe works best when you shred your own cheese or use a high grade shredded cheese such as Sargento.