- 1 bag Jumbo 13-15 count Shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- 1 lb. Hormel Black Label Bacon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup Heinz is truly my favorite
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce more or less to taste
- skewers if wooden soaked in water for 30 minutes
In a blender, combine brown sugar through hot pepper sauce. Blend until smooth. Place half of the sauce in a Ziploc bag, reserving the other half as a serving sauce. Place shrimp in bag and gently toss to coat. Cut bacon slices in half. Wrap each shrimp with a half of slice of bacon and thread onto skewer. Over medium heat, grill shrimp, making sure to flip sides, until cooked through. Serve with reserved sauce. Enjoy!
I like Hormel Black Label Bacon for this recipe because it is sliced pretty uniform and on the thinner side. It usually has less fat which I also like since I am cutting the slices in half and don't like wrapping shrimp with pure fat that I might end up with other brands of bacon. When using this bacon, I don't have to worry about cooking it before wrapping the shrimp because it always ends up chewy and perfect. If you use a thicker bacon or are worried about you bacon being done enough, cook it using your preferred method until it's about half way done. The other thing I like about using this bacon is that it works out just about perfectly - when I cut it the slices into half, I have just enough to wrap my shrimp.